Protospiel Online is committed to creating a welcoming environment for designers and playtesters of all backgrounds.
To help ensure our events can live up to that promise, we’ll have moderators covering our Discord voice channels during open hours for every event.
Truly great moderators must have excellent people skills and stay engaged and vigilant throughout their shift. This kind of work requires a fair amount of emotional energy, so we feel it’s only appropriate to compensate our moderators for their time.
We are accepting applications for moderator positions and particularly encourage BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and women to apply.
Before an event
- Coordinate with organizers and other mods in the Discord #moderator-general group chat
- Sign up to cover 4 or more scheduled hours of moderator duty per event
- Choose from 2 posts: Coffee Talk Voice or LFG Voice
- Read instructions for Protospiel Online procedures in our Moderator Handbook
- Read our Code of Conduct
- Attend a video call training session with organizers to learn how to moderate your chosen post(s)
During an event
- While covering a shift, connect via both voice and video in your assigned Discord voice channel(s)
- Welcome newcomers into your voice channel; be the default friendly face
- Guide attendees in using each voice channel for its intended purpose
- Answer attendees’ questions about Protospiel Online procedures, Discord, virtual tabletops, etc
- Hold attendees accountable to following our Code of Conduct
- Help attendees troubleshoot tech issues
- Reach out to an organizer with any questions or Code of Conduct issues you don’t feel comfortable addressing on your own
LFG Voice Moderator
- Manage the playtesting request posts in the #looking-for-a-game channel
- Help attendees learn and follow Protospiel Online’s procedures for requesting playtests and volunteering to playtest for others
- Encourage designers posting playtest requests to share about their game in the LFG Voice channel
- During your on-shift hours, respond to messages sent to our @Front Desk direct message inbox (registration, questions, conflict resolution, etc)
Coffee Talk Moderator
- Choose a broad topic to center conversation around during your shift (organizers will post these in the #coffee-topic-schedule channel)
- Keep the conversation moving with an openness to going off-topic for a few minutes here and there while ensuring that attendees with specific thoughts or questions about the focus topic get a chance to share
- For shifts in which a Special Guest joins and sets the conversation topic, help the attendees engage directly with the Guest, encouraging questions and comments either through the #coffee-talk-text channel or Coffee Talk Voice channel
- Hourly pay for live event moderation shifts + pre-event video training session
- Free Designer badge to any event you actively moderate (for use during your off hours)
- Free copy of Tabletop Playground for your personal use (if you don’t already have it)
- Moderator status in our Discord server and Attendees directory