Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means that if you choose to make a purchase, Protospiel Online will earn a referral commission at no additional cost to you.
We love it when our community members get creative and find new ways to serve the tabletop industry. That’s why we’ve decided to partner with Protospiel Online Alum and Moderator, Joe Slack, to get the word out about his upcoming Board Game Design Virtual Summit.
What is the Board Game Design Virtual Summit?
The Summit is a week-long online event where Joe will host interviews with some of our industry’s top experts such as Jamey Stegmaier, Sen-Foong Lim, Elizabeth Hargrave, and many more. It runs Monday, Sept 14 at 10am EDT through Sunday, Sept 20 at midnight EDT.
When you sign up, you can choose between 4 Pass levels: All Access, Platinum, Ultimate, and Free. 60% off early bird pricing is available through the start of the Summit on Sept 14 at 10am EDT.
All pass levels will have access to the main content for the Summit: 3 new pre-recorded interviews per day released each day at 10am EDT.
Once each interview is released, it will be available on-demand until the Summit wraps up on Sept 20. The average interview length is 30 minutes.
On the final day, instead of releasing new interviews, Joe will host a live Q&A at 1pm EDT with a selection of the interviewees.
Free Pass holders will lose access to the content at the end of the Summit on Sept 20 at midnight EDT. All other Pass holders will have lifetime access to this content.
Platinum and Ultimate Pass holders will also receive 9 bonus interviews after the Summit with a selection of the interviewees.
Ultimate Pass holders will get lifetime access to Joe’s Board Game Design Course and a 6 month membership in his community with 2 live group calls per month.
Who’s presenting at the Summit?
One of our key values at Protospiel Online is working towards more diversity and representation in the tabletop industry. Joe’s list of presenters is an awesome example of how to do this well.
Here’s the full list of topics and presenters included in the Free Pass:
- Peter C. Hayward – Why Playtesting is So Crucial
- Daryl Andrews – How to Design an IP Game
- Eric Slauson – Making Party Games That Get Published
- Gabe Barrett – Building an Amazing Community
- Brandon Rollins – Growing Your Following From Zero to Over 2,000
- Nalin Chuapetcharasopon – How to Market Your Board Game and Get Results
- Victoria Cana – Using Conventions to Help You Find Success on Kickstarter
- Jay Cormier – Transitioning From Designing to Publishing
- Jamey Stegmaier – How to Run a Successful Publishing Business
- Elizabeth Hargrave – How to Develop a Great Relationship With a Publisher
- Curt Covert – Understanding What Publishers Really Want
- Jeff Fraser – How to Create a Rule Book that Players Will Actually Understand
- Brittany & Mark Maia – Partnering with Influencers
- Tristam Rossin – Working With Artists and Graphic Designers
- Sarah Graybill & Kerry Rundle – Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Manufacturing But Were Too Afraid to Ask
- Kathleen Mercury – Combining Teaching and Board Games
- AJ Brandon – What Customers Are Looking For: A Retailer’s Perspective
- Sen-Foong Lim – Understanding Game Contracts
Be the first to know when new articles are released
Protospiel Online Small Group Discussions
To level up the Summit experience for our own community members, Protospiel Online is hosting 2 small group discussion sessions in our Discord server. These bonus events are available free of charge to anyone who is already in the Protospiel Online sever. In other words, we’re inviting everyone who has an active badge for Protospiel Online October or has attended Protospiel Online in the past.
Existing Discord members can sign up for one or both sessions:
- Thursday, Sept 17 3pm-5pm MDT — discussing topics from Summit Days 1-3
- Sunday, Sept 20 3pm-5pm MDT — discussing topics from Summit Days 4-6
Although we normally keep voice channels closed between Protospiel Online weekends, during these 2 time slots, we’ll open one of the Halls in the Protospiel Online Discord server. Past attendees will recognize this as the place designers host their playtests during our events.
When attendees arrive, we’ll randomly assign them to a small group table with a max of 4 people per table. It will be a great way to connect with Protospiel community members you may not have met yet. Depending on what our attendees vote for, we’ll either keep the same groups for the entire 2 hours or switch them up every so often. Anyone who comes to both sessions will get assigned to a different group each session.
Group members who have webcams can use Discord video chat to talk to their group. Otherwise, group members can participate in the conversation through voice only. We’ll give all the groups discussion questions about the topics presented so far at the Summit, releasing 1 question at a time every 10-15 minutes.
Ready to Join?
Current Protospiel Online Discord members can show up any time during the small group discussion sessions to get assigned to a discussion group. To get more detailed instructions for how to attend, RSVP to one or both sessions below.
Though an RSVP is not required, it will help us gauge interest and have enough staff on hand to offer customer support during the sessions. We’ll also send you a reminder 30 minutes before your session starts so you’ll be sure not to miss it!
Grab Your Spot for the Board Game Design Virtual Summit
You’ll get the best experience from our small group discussions if you’ve listened to the interviews from the applicable days of the Summit in advance. Sign up for the Summit to get access to the content as soon as it’s released.